Faculty Committee Will Consider Proposed Student Activity Center

Watson, Brown Back Plan

The Faculty Committee on Student Activities will discuss the proposed center for Harvard-Radcliffe student groups in their meeting tonight, Dean Watson disclosed yesterday. Watson said that he and Frances R. Brown, Radcliffe Dean of Residence, agree that there should be a student center now, and that "the need will increase as time goes on."

Since last January, when both administrations voted to allow organizations to merge, clubs have often been forced to meet in University classrooms. Although conditions at Harvard are more favorable for joint meetings than those at Radcliffe, "It seems that both institutions should try to share the burden of the clubs," Watson commented.

Some headquarters must be provided for the activities, he continued, "and obviously the Houses are not the proper place."

Watson expressed doubt that there would be a new building for student activities constructed in the immediate future. "After all," he noted, "most University alumni know nothing about the problem and it is doubtful that Harvard or Radcliffe will spend any of their funds on a situation which requires much more study than they have given it so far.

Only two members of the Committee on Student Activities could be reached for comment. Rupert Emerson, professor of Government, remarked that the new student center seems "a highly favorable and necessary thing." He added that it possible he would like to see a new building that would meet the problem.

William M. Pinkerton, News Officer for the University, declined to express any opinion until the Committee discusses the question tomorrow night.

Presidents of two clubs with members from Harvard and Radcliffe expressed enthusiasm for the proposal.

Executives of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra have been forced to meet in cafeterias around the Square this year because of one female member, Rollin T. Kearns '59 remarked. "We would welcome a place to hold our meetings and it would be much more satisfactory if the University would provide a new building."