Renovation of Dorm Starts

Work on Thayer Begun

By Claude E. Welch jr.

All older Yard dorms will be renovated as a result of the Corporation's decision Tuesday, Dean von Stade announced yesterday. Thayer North, which has been closed since the start of the Fall term, will be the first dormitory renovated.

"Although the situation is touch-and-go, we hope to re-open the dorm by February," Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services, said. The interiors of the other Yard dorms--Grays, Hollis, Holworthy, Matthews, Stoughton, Thayer, and Weld--will be rehabilitated within the next few years.

Room rents for the suites in Thayer North and for other renovated rooms will not be increased unless there is a general raise in rent. "The Yard dorms will resemble the interiors of the Houses under these renovation plans," Dean von Stade commented.

Forced Communters Move In

When the renovation is finished, the 24 rooms--all doubles--will be available for forced commuters. At present, only two model suites have been altered, but work is expected to proceed rapidly in the next few weeks.

"We have been working for two years to start this plan of Yard renovation," Trottenberg noted.

The capacity of Thayer North will not be changed, but the rooms will become "much more attractive and spacious-looking." Plain brick walls, soundproof ceilings, improved heating, mahogany panelling, and new vinyl flooring are features of the rooms.