Nuns Fret Not

"Living out" was a nice, or least an "educational experiment" while it lasted, but the Committee on the Houses and the Administrative Board have decided to return to the earlier policy of compulsory senior residence.

With the Houses looking forward to admitting fewer freshmen next year and to losing as many as ten seniors to Quincy House in the bargain, Housemasters cannot afford to let just anyone go apartment hunting. Since last year's hasty invitation brought some fifty out-livers, the deans are justified in their fears that another invitation would depopulate the Houses still further.

At the same time there will be a small number of mal-contents in each House whom no amount of deconversion, privacy, or fringe benefits can convert to the enjoyment of House life. It seems silly to keep these damned souls within the walls when they--and those who have to live with them--would be happier apart. Quincy House, despite Master Bullitt's wishes, will no doubt absorb part of the discontented and adventurous few, but the others will remain a burden to their respective Houses.

Unless the Houses are to be jails, future seniors should not be regulated by Administrative fiat. Masters and their Senior Tutors are well enough acquainted with the situation in their respective institutions to decide who ought to live out and in what numbers. Exceptions in cases of marriage, illness and financial distress are already provided for--the invitation should also be extended to those who simply cannot stand House life.

Despite Administration fears, the Houses are not too hard to fill. They might take in a forced commuter or two, or turn an empty room into an office for a non-resident tutor. In any case, losing three of four unhappy individuals should not "strike at the roots" of any healthy House.

Instead of returning to its former policy, the Administration should leave senior residence problems to individual Masters and senior tutors. After the Masters have discovered which seniors are migrating to Quincy, they should be allowed to let a few escape to apartments at the same time.