Possibility of Moving Out Denied to '60

"Living out" in the senior year will not be continued next fall, according to a notice distributed in the Houses yesterday. A decision of the Committee on Houses and the Administrative Board ended the "relaxation of the residence rule for Seniors," which enabled about fifty members of the class of '59 to rent apartments in Cambridge this year.

The Administration ended the policy because Quincy House will provide 230 additional spaces, next year and the Leverett towers more accommodations after that, the notice explained. Last year's invitation to Seniors to live outside the Houses was caused by an "anticipated overcrowding in dormitories," this year.

Return to Norm

Allston Burr Senior Tutors view the policy change as a return to the norm. "It's the plan we've used except for last year," said Robert M. O'Clair, Senior Tutor of Kirkland House, "And it's pretty sensible for the most part. One of the points of the new House system is to make rooms available that everybody can live in."

The Administration will allow exceptions to the senior residence rule only in cases where financial considerations, physical disability, or educational opportunities elsewhere make moving out advisable. Students wishing to live outside the House system must contact their Senior Tutors or the Dean of Freshmen, the notice said.