West Could Gain By Red Disunity

"The Soviet camp is not a homogeneic unity, and we should exploit the weaknesses in it," Zbigniew K. Brzezinski, assistant professor of Government, told the Naval Science Forum at Kirkland House last night.

"We concede the Chinese the right to use force where it is justified (as some think it is in Quemoy) but if someone suggests our running an armed convoy through East Germany to protect Berlin, he is condemned."

Brzezinski also discussed Poland's "period of spontaneity" in 1956 and 1957 and outlined its effect on other satellite nations. "The presence of Poland's divergent pattern gives other states an argument against a universal brand of communism," he said.

China, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia, since they are "more Stalinist than Russia," are forcing the Soviets into an awkward ideological position, Brzezinski said. "China predicts it will achieve 'the realization of communism' when the People's Communes are completed; Russia and the European satellites are still in transition from socialism to communism."

Brzezinski favors demilitarizing Germany, East Germany, Poland, and Czechoslovakia. "We must not emphasize the ideological differences between ourselves and the satellites by insisting on the unification of Germany and free elections," he said.