Crimson Downs Inept Bulldog Squad For First Time in Four Years, 28-0

Ravenel Stands Out In 'Team Triumph'

By John P. Demos

Four years of football frustration at Harvard came to an end on Saturday when the varsity crushed an astonishingly inept team from Yale, 28-0.

The calibre of play was none too high, and there was no suspense element once the Crimson got its offense functioning late in the first half; but the final result was enormously satisfying--at least to all the spectators on the west side of the Stadium.

After the game had ended, Coach John Yovicsin was at some pains to establish this as a "team victory." A team victory it certainly was; but this does not obscure the fact that quarterback Charlie Ravenel was, more than any other individual, responsible for the outcome.

Ravenel Gains 105 Yards

Ravenel was the most effective ballcarrier on the field (gaining 105 yards in 16 carries), called his plays with great imagination, blocked and tackled quite ferociously for a little man, and generally directed his team with notable dash and skill.

In fact, the difference in quarterbacking was perhaps the most important single difference between the two teams. For where Ravenel was brilliant, the Yale signal-callers were abysmally bad.

This was, of course, the position at which the Elis had been most seriously crippled by injuries. Starter Tom Singleton was somewhat lamed by an ankle sprain; and his first and second substitutes did not even dress for the game. This left the burden of the quarterbacking to an ex-jayvee named Andy Kugler, who was simply not up to the task.

Far too many Yale plays began with the quarterback bumping into the intended ball-carrier, or else being pulled down because he moved too slowly, by hard-charging Crimson forwards. In addition, Eli passing was never a threat; though this must be blamed less on the quarterbacks and more on their blockers, who simply could not withstand the determined pass-rush of the Harvards.

Crimson Starts Poorly

The varsity began the game by playing fully as ineffectually as the Elis. Its running plays seemed extremely sluggish, Ravenel's first few passes were considerably overthrown, and frequent "stunting" by the Yale linemen clearly confused Crimson blockers.

At one point early in the second quarter, play descended to the grammar-school level, with both teams fumbling the ball around as if it were a live coal. The Crimson had made no first downs (and almost no yardage) in its first five offensive sorties, and general consternation was mounting in the Harvard stands, when suddenly Ravenel shifted his attack into high gear.

The pocket-sized quarterback began to call his own number at this point, and he got results fast. Squirming through the Yale line on "sneaks," and rolling out around the ends, Ravenel personally gained 52 of the 73 yards covered by the Crimson in its first touchdown drive. And it was quite fitting that he himself registered that score (at the very moment the first half ended) on a five-yard roll-out to his right.

The fact that the varsity was able to make this touchdown before time ran out provided a big psychological lift, and Harvard was obviously the superior team once the second half began.

Varsity Hits Yale Flanks

Now the other Crimson backs, perhaps inspired by Ravenel's example, began to run with increased vigor and finesse; and suddenly there was no longer any contest. The varsity pretty much abandoned its running plays between the tackles, and concentrated on Yale's flanks, where very little resistance was encountered.

Chet Boulris and Larry Repsher, as well as Ravenel, could gain almost at will on these plays, as the Crimson attacked from a new formation featuring two backfield flankers on the same side. Fullback Sam Halaby was able to cut down the opposing end nearly every time, and other Harvards delivered crunching blocks downfield, so the ball-carrier's job was made that much easier.

Crimson Point Pile Up

In the game's closing stages the spectators had little left to interest them except the growing Crimson point total; but this was no small consideration to those who remembered last year's de bacle. A series of 15-yard penalties may have cost the Crimson a couple of extra touchdowns, and it was particularly vexing to have a fine punt return by Don Gerety called back.

The score never reached 54, never even approached it, in fact. But when the final whistle blew, nobody on the Harvard side seemed disinclined to settle for a fine and clear-cut victory. The 54-business can wait for next year maybe....Crimson captain BOB SHAUNESSY (73), playing the last game of his varsity career, throws Eli quarterback ANDY KUGLER (14) for a long loss in the first quarter of Saturday's game.