Motel Presents Threat To City-Harvard Garage

By Alan H. Grossman

The use of a University-favored site for a Cambridge-Harvard parking facility was probably obviated yesterday, when it was stated that John Briston Sullivan, builder and realtor, will definitely take up his option to build a motel on the Brattle Square parking lot, adjacent to the MTA car yards.

The R. M. Bradley Co., of Boston, has placed a $350,00 first mortgage for Sullivan's motel at the Suffolk-Franklin Savings Bank.

The city granted Sullivan an option on the property earlier this year, with the stipulation that he show financial solvency in the venture before Nov. 29. The $350,000 mortgage, and other factors, seem to indicate that Sullivan will proceed with adequate financial backing.

University Offer

Last month, in a letter to City Manager John J. Curry '19, President Pusey had offered to help provide public parking facilities in the Harvard Square area, and suggested that costs be split 50-50 with Cambridge. It is known that the site which is to be used for the motel was one of those favored by the University for the contemplated parking area.

Theodore L. Storer, president of R. M. Bradley, said last night that he felt the University's offer should have come last spring, before the option was granted to Sullivan. "At this point," he continued, "Sullivan's motel would probably be of greater benefit to Harvard Square."

He explained that the motel would add 55 new housing units and about 25 parking units to the area, bringing more buyers to the Square. Storer expressed approval of the motel, on the condition that "Sullivan can provide parking," and added that the University should be able to find another, more favorable, site for a parking facility.