Hockey Varsity Will Face B.C. In Season Opener Away Tonight

Eagles to Use Many Sophomores

The varsity hockey team will open its season tonight against an untested, sophomore-dominated Boston College six on the Eagles' new McHugh Rink in Chestnut Hill. B. C. will have four sophomores in its starting line-up, while varsity coach Cooney Weiland will open with six battle-tested seniors. Face-off will be 8:15 p.m.

Harry Pratt will be in the goal for the Crimson, with captain Dick McLaughlin and Mo Balboni on defense and George Higginbottom centering for Dave Vietze and Paul Kelley.

On the basis of experience, the varsity must be rated a definite favorite over the Eagles, but as Weiland pointed out last night, "They always seems to play their best game against us," a statement that is well borne out by numerous B.C. upsets in early season contests.

Below his experienced first unit, Weiland will divide his remaining veteran linemen, one to the second and one to the third line.

As for Boston College, coach John Kelley is admittedly in the dark as to the propects of his team. "We received a severe blow this week when we lost Jack Cusick, our leading scorer last winter, for at least ten days." With Cusick not dressing for the game, B.C. is without a proven scoring punch, but this may be partially compensated for on defense where captain Joe Jangro, one of the top defensemen in the East, and sophomore standout Tom Martin give Kelley a very rough combination in front of sophomore goalie Jim Logue.

In many ways, despite the fact that the Crimson will be starting veteran players, both coaches will be sizing up unknown potential.