Unbeaten Yardlings Whip Cheshire; Penn Breaks J.V. Win Streak, 16-7

Only one Crimson athletic team remains undefeated after last Saturday's action, as the Yardling football squad kept its record clean by crushing Cheshire Academy, 44 to 0. The previously undefeated J.V. eleven suffered its first defeat, 16 to 7, at the hands of a rugged Penn team.

The Yardlings scored at 3:57 of the first quarter, after kicking off and holding Cheshire for four downs. Right halfback John Damis tallied on a 19-yard dash and then caught a pass from quarterback Grady Watts for two points. Left half Charlie Reed plunged for the second freshman tally midway in the same period.

An interception by Watts led to a score early in the second quarter, with fullback Dave Ward diving over from the two for six points and quarterback James Ullyot running for two more. After a Cheshire fumble, Lee Raitz passed 25 yards to fullback Steve Burke for another touchdown, right half Tom Boone plunging for the conversion.

Still another Crimson score came early in the last period as quarterback Ted Halaby bucked over from two yards out and fullback Joe Grew added two points on a dive. A pass from Myron Adams to end Pete Sieglaff ended the Yardlings' scoring.

This awesome offensive and defensive display brought the freshman record to 4-0. The Yardlings have scored 93 points while giving up only six.

The J.V. began convincingly enough, as left end Frank Sullivan blocked a Penn punt in the first quarter and raced to a tally. Steve Cohen kicked the extra point and the Crimson led 7 to 0. A Penn touchdown in the second period closed the gap to 7-6, and in the third quarter the Penn kicker booted a tremendous 40-yard field goal to put the Quakers ahead, 9 to 7. Another Penn touchdown and conversion accounted for the final score of 16 to 7.