Cambridge May Require Parking For New Dorms

The University might have to provide parking spaces within 1500 feet of future dormitory buildings, if the City Council adopts the Planning Board's proposed new Zoning Ordinance.

An article in the proposed code would require provision of off-street parking facilities for all new houses, public buildings, stores and industries. A table would give the requirements for each zoning district.

In calculating parking facility requirements, four dormitory beds will be considered equivalent to one dwelling unit. Depending on the zone classification, the University might have to provide seven or eight parking spaces for each 40 students in new buildings.

Last year the City refused to grant a building permit for Quincy House because no provision was made for off-street parking. But the Appeals Board overruled the decision and approved the permit on the grounds that the word "dormitory" is not used in the section of the present code requiring off-street parking spaces.

Since there appears to be no likely site for new dormitory construction within 1500 feet of the Business School parking lot, other parking facilities might have to be provided. But the code would probably not require that facilities be University-owned.