Religion Called 'Proper Study'

The Christian heritage is definitely a proper topic of study in a liberal education, as is any other major religion, James B. Adams, Edward Mallinckrodt Jr. Professor of Divinity, declared yesterday.

Adams insisted, however, that a survey course in Christian culture must be subjected to the same complete freedom of inquiry as any other descipline. "Christianity cannot expect any special place or privilege," he said.

While the study of Western religions has a particular value and pertinence in our culture, Adams explained, it should not become a forum for "apologetics."

Adams saw two major obstacles to a College course in Christian culture. First, he doubted whether a unitary Christian heritage exists, since the dialogue of opposing viewpoints tends to give any heritage a complex character.

Secondly, Adams pointed out that the comparative element in any critical inquiry is important. The so-called anti-Christian heritage is often more in line with the Christian intention than is that of "trumped-up orthodoxy," he said.