Squash Varsity Nips Army, 7-2

The varsity squash team defeated a tenacious Army squad 7 to 2 Saturday in Hemenway Gymnasium for its second victory of the season. The Cadets gave the undefeated Crimson a rugged test, upsetting the varsity's number two and three men before finally succumbing.

At number one, captain Charlie Hamm blanked O. K. Lewis, Army's veteran star, 3 to 0, to put the Crimson ahead. But number two man Gerry Emmet, after racing to a 15-4 triumph in the first game dropped the next three rounds and the set to Ed Burban of Army.

The varsity's chances for victory waned as Pete Lund, playing in the third position, lost three straight games to Cadet Charles Boyle. Then Tim Gallwey came through with a tremendous victory over Army's fourth man to turn the tide of the match in the varsity's favor.

Fred Vinton fought back from an 0-2 deficit to defeat his opponent, and Wally Stimson, Tony Lake, Kent Allen, and Charlie Poletti followed with wins to guarantee a Crimson triumph.

After the match, Coach Jack Barnaby commented, "I'm always glad to beat Army. Those service teams just don't give up until the last point." Barnaby criticized his squad's "spotty playing" and "a couple of cases of overconfidence."