Blood Donations Fail to Hit Goal

"The 1958 Harvard-Radcliffe blood drive was somewhat of a disappointment," Leon Rothenberg '61, co-chairman, said yesterday in his final report. Out of 1200 scheduled appointments, only 880 students actually gave blood. This total is 121 less than last year.

Rothenberg attributed some of the unfilled pledges to a rash of colds and sore throats precipitated by bad weather during the drive. He felt that others simply did not want to give blood, or else were afraid.

"There is no reason not to give," Rothenberg insisted. "It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't take much time." An added inducement for donating is the Harvard blood bank policy of supplying free blood, through the Red Cross, to students and members of their immediate family.

An unprecedented number of parental refusals considerably dimmed original hopes. From the 1600 letters sent out, 150 refusals were received, and more than 300 parents neglected to send any reply. Students between 18 and 21 years old are required to get parental consent.

The drive at Radcliffe, in contrast, was quite successful, according to Rothenberg. Almost all of the 132 students who pledged blood kept their appointments. This turnout set a new record, as Radcliffe rarely manages to exceed 100 pints.

Only one faculty member gave blood this year. He is one of the two faculty members who donated last year.