Depth Indicated As Sextet Wins At Williams, 9-2

Williams' outdoor hockey rink froze in time for Saturday night's game with the Crimson, but the varsity's forwards turned the heat on Eph goalie Dick Alford and skated to a 9-2 victory. Dick Fischer and Dave Vietze contributed two goals each and Bud Higgenbottom scored once for a first line that showed considerable speed and passing precision.

The most encouraging thing, though, was the performance of Coach Cooney Weiland's second and third lines, each of which tallied two goals. The second trio of Dick Reilly centering between Mo Balboni and Paul Kelley continued to play a very fine defensive, backchecking game, while the third line of Dave Crosby, Stu Forbes and Crocker Snow gains polish each time they skate together.

The extent to which the Crimson dominated the game was evident in goalie Harry Pratt's saves: five in the first two periods and eight (half by Tab Cleary) in the third. The Williams sextet, which had a contest with Bowdoin "melted out" Friday, had skated together for only ten days before the game, and lacked a cohesive attack.

Dick Reilly opened the scoring at 2:52 of the first period, after taking a pass from defenseman Les Duncan, but four minutes later the defense failed to clear the puck cleanly from in front of the cage, and Lowe of Williams sneaked it past Pratt unassisted.

In tonight's game with B.U. at the Arean, Weiland may use his second line against all-American Bob Marquis, centering for Alan Jarasitas and Bill Quinn. The powerhouse six of last year has been weakened considerably.