Monitor Editor Sees Revolution, Unrest in Latin American Future

Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela

Economic unrest, an atmosphere of revolution, and a genuine hope for the progress of constitutional democracy are the principal facets of the political scene in Argentina, Cuba, and Venezuela, Bertram E. Johanson said last night.

Speaking before the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberal Union, Johanson, the Latin American editor of the Christian Science Monitor, pointed out that "In Argentina, the best steaks cost 26 cents a pound, while a Chevrolet may cost from ten to twelve thousand dollars. In Venezuela, on the other hand, ham and eggs may cost $3.50."

Argentina and Venezuela, he noted, are each attempting to restore constitutional government after a long period of dictatorship. But Argentine President Frondizi has had to declare a state of siege to counter the threat of an oil strike led by the Communists and Peronistas, while the future of Venezuelan democracy may depend on the military's willingness to step down in favor of a man whom they had previously deposed and persecuted.

"You will be seeing Cuba more and more in the news," continued Johanson. He described the present military stalement between the outnumbered rebel forces of Fidel Castro and the troops of the present Batista regime. But conservatives are beginning to support the "radical" Castro, he commented, adding that the Batista leadership has been weakened by purges.

Also on the positive side, said Johanson, is the fact that Argentina is beginning drastic action to end its economic crisis. "Too many people expected an easy miracle," he commented. In addition, the Venezuelan military group has said that it will accept any candidate who may be chosen in the national elections.