Rifle Team Sets Scoring Record

Despite a new team record of 1414 points, the varsity rifle team placed third in the Second Annual Coast Guard Invitational Rifle Meet at New London, Conn., last Saturday.

The new total replaces the former record of 1411 scored against Bowdoin in a postal match Dec. 11. High scorer in the Invitational Meet was Dick Murphy with 286 points. Captain Lance Fair followed with 285 points. Bill Garrison shot third with 282, leading Ron Simon at 281 and John Phelps at 280.

St. John's University took first place with 1425 points and the U.S. Military Academy won second place, scoring 1422 points. The University of Maryland placed fourth with a total of 1413 points.

Yale and Brown were the only other Ivy League teams entered in the meet, scoring 1362 and 1367 points respectively. M.I.T. placed behind the Crimson for the first time in several years with 1406. The Crimson also beat the Coast Guard Academy for the first time in two years.

Villanova, the U.S. Naval Academy, and the Universities of Rhode Island and New Hampshire also placed below the Crimson.