Council Recommends Non-Honors Tutorial Be Optional for Juniors

Letter Grading Approved

By Fred E. Arnold

The Student Council last night recommended to the Faculty that tutorial be made optional for non-honors juniors. The vote overruled the report of the Council's executive committee, which called for continued compulsory tutorial, but stopped short of CEP recommendations that it be eliminated altogether.

After approving changes in the executive committee report, the Council voted to ask the Faculty to delay action on curriculum revision, until the changes could be incorporated into a Council report to the faculty.

After heated and prolonged debate, Council members voted to recommend letter grading in all tutorial. The grade would be based on the tutor's evaluation of the student's work, and on a final essay graded by someone other than the tutor. The CEP has recommended grading and qualifying examinations at the end of the sophomore and junior years.

In the course of debate on compulsory non-honors tutorial, King K. Holmes '59 questioned the balance the Council was striking between its deliberative and representative functions. "We aren't superior beings," he declared, and expressed his belief that the group should mirror student opinion.

Executive Committee Blamed

"I think the executive committee is trying to force its opinions on the student body," charged Lionel B. Spiro '60. "We are a 'select' group with varied opinions," noted Paul E. Freehling '59, vice president. "Our votes should be backed by intellectual honesty, by what we think is in the students' best interest."

David M. Perlmutter '59, Council secretary, pointed out that the executive committee's report was based on a comprehensive study made last year by the tutorial committee. "We don't know what the students want," he added.

"I know what students in my House want," replied Holmes, the Winthrop House representative.

One member noted that compulsory tutorial for non-honors juniors was unpopular with the faculty as well as with the students. He added that the CEP report termed it unsuccessful.

Lewis B. Oliver, Jr. '61 pointed out that if council recommendations for improved sophomore tutorial were carried out, sophomores could make a "mature" decision concerning the desirability of honors candidacy.