FCC Delays Channel For WHRB - FM

Group to Consider Conflicting Request

Station WHRB-FM's application to switch its broadcasting frequency will be delayed at least two more weeks, the Federal Communications Commission revealed yesterday. The case has been pending since February 11.

The station's application for FM channel 288 will be considered after a request by station WKOX for allocation of channel 289 to the Framingham area. This proposed station would make operations on channel 288 extremely difficult for WHRB.

WHRB has, as an interested party, filed a brief with the FCC against the allocation of channel 289 to WKOX. The Concert Network, which operates rebroad-casting relay activities on channel 290 has obtained a ten day extension in order to file a complaint.

Possible Delay

John B. Niles '59, president of WHRB, said that a decision by the FCC "might take weeks." The evidence will first be examined by the commission's staff, which then will recommend a decision to the FCC board. The commissioners may or may not follow their staff's recommendation.

The FCC has indicated that the engineers for WKOX are examining other available FM channels. However, the New England area is "saturated" and another channel may be difficult to find. WHRB has not suggested any alternate channel for WKOX in its brief.

The Harvard station wishes to switch to a different broadcasting frequency in order to increase its wattage and to avoid any interference with WBZ-FM.

If WHRB receives a favorable decision on the allocation of a channel to WKOX, there should be no further opposition to its application. A 30 day waiting period will follow before WHRB can shift its operations to the new frequency.