College Gives HSA Control Of Eliot Grill

Harvard Student Agencies Inc., has taken over the operation and management of the Eliot House Grille, Dustin M. Burke '52, general manager of the organization and Director of Student Employment disclosed yesterday.

The Grille, formerly operated by the University Dining Halls, was placed under student control last Sunday night, Burke said. In agreeing to the change, the Dining Halls signed a contract to provide the food for the Grille, but relinquished its rights to the profits, which will go to the students.

Darryl V. March '59 will be the student manager of the Grille. Referring to his newly acquired business, March, who has worked for two years as a manager of the student refreshment agency, said, "I always wanted to get my fingers in that pot."

He commented on the role of the HSA in the transaction, saying that "it is almost imperative that any business become a member of the organization," but added that it has provided valuable support for his negotiations with the Dining Halls.

March stated that the exact relationship of his organization to the HSA was uncertain. The Grille will use none of the Agency's facilities, he explained, so that there is no real advantage of membership in the agency.

Asked if his group would pay the ten per cent rate charged by the HSA of its member agencies, March replied they would not. "I have been promised," he said, "that we will only have to pay a 'nominal rate.' Two or three per cent is my idea of 'nominal.'"

William A. Heaman, manager of the Dining Halls, said last night, "We will cooperate with the HSA in every way."

Burke emphasized that the Grille would maintain its former service and prices. The only change, he said, would be in its hours. The Grille will be open Sunday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 12 p.m. insted of from 5:30 p.m. to 12 p.m. as before.