League Second Place At Stake for Crimson

Any Yale meet is an end in itself. But added to this truism is the plain fact that if the varsity wrestlers can get by the Elis on the IAB mats at 3:30 this afternoon, they will end their season in second place in the league.

If Yale should win, they will finish in second and drop the varsity to fifth, in what has proved to be the tightest race in Ivy League wrestling history.

Yale has come along with a rush after a dreadful start this season, which saw it lose five of its first six matches. But its 20-8 loss to Brown marked the turning point, as Yale went on to crush Columbia, 21 to 3, tie Penn, and defeat Princeton, 16 to 11.

On the other hand, the varsity has run into difficulties during the latter part of the season. Columbia began the trouble with a stunning 14-14 upset draw, and, after a 19 to 10 win over Penn, the varsity lost in succession to Princeton, 16 to 14, and to Springfield, 18 to 10. Last weekend, the varsity downed Brown, 15 to 11, to bring its Ivy record to 2-2-1, identical with Yale's.

Meet Hinges on Upsets

As it appears now, each team rates the edge in four individual matches, so that the meet will hinge on possible upsets, or pins.

The 123 match should be close, but Eli Andy Fitch rates the nod on his outstanding record so far this season. But the varsity's Dave Skeels, one of the better lightweights in the league, appears to have the best chance for an upset for the varsity.

Three Eli sophomores also rate the favorites, Chris Seger, at 137, over Bob Kozol; former captain Tom Miller over Steve Weddle at 157, and Norm Baker over Tom Hill at 177.

Two Even Matches

On the credit side for the varsity, John Watkins is the clear choice over Jacques deLabry at 130, as is Ted Robbins over Bill Cross at heavyweight.

In two of the most even matchings of the afternoon, Joe Noble has been established a slight favorite over Eli Ted Reese at 147, while in the battle of captains, Bob Foster rates the edge over Jack Kohr at 167, despite the fact that Kohr gained a draw when the two met last year in the varsity's 21-8 win, its first in 22 years over the Elis.