Nine Begins Regular Season Today

By Kenneth Auchincloss

Following the lead of most of the major league clubs, the varsity baseball team opens its regular 1958 season this afternoon. While the Yankees begin their pennant defense in Fenway Park, while the Giants and Dodgers act out a transplanted rivalry in San Francisco, the Crimson nine will be out in Medford facing Tufts.

Coach Norm Shepard, whose main worry to date has been an unproven pitching staff, will start righthander Dave Brigham on the mound against the Jumbos. Brigham turned in some good pitching on the recent southern trip and worked well in several relief jobs last season, but never reached top form as a starter.

Against Brigham, Tufts will send up veteran Arnie Gerson, but coach Bob Meehan reported yesterday that he intends to use two and probably three pitchers in the game, changing every three innings except in emergency.

Such a strategy shows that Tufts, by necessity, is using the contest as almost a practice game, and much the same holds true for the Crimson. Bad weather cut down outdoor workouts for both squads last week, and Tufts used its diamond yesterday for the first time this year.

Most of the Jumbo lineup, nevertheless, are returning starters and should be a strong threat to the visitors. Shepard admits that the Crimson's batting strength is still largely an unknown quantity. If the southern trip records are any indication, captain Bob Cleary and first baseman Frank Saia can be relied on at the plate, but the outfielders have still not shown the hitting needed in the middle of the batting order.

The four games this week will give some measure of the Crimson's batting power; they have also put an added strain on the already thin pitching staff. After today's game, Shepard expects to start Herb Scheiner against Brandeis tomorrow, Byron Johnson at M.I.T. Thursday, and come back with Brigham in the Army game here on Saturday.

Mo Balboni will alternate with Jim Shue in right field this afternoon. Otherwise, the varsity's lineup remains the same as at the end of the recent trip.

Probable Crimson batting order:

Bergantino, 3b

Saia, 1b

Cleary, 2b

Hathaway, 1f

Getch, cf

Shue, rf

Kasarjian, ss

Davis, c

Brigham, p