Army Downs Varsity, 741/3-65 2/3 Landau Wins Three, Sets Record;

By William C. Sigal

Joel Landau's attempt to carry the varsity track team single-handedly failed Saturday, for despite three firsts and a second by the speedy junior, Army took the majority of seconds and thirds to register a 741/3 to 652/3 win at West Point.

Landau was magnificent in a losing cause. Not only was this his first attempted quadruple, but he also came within a whit of winning all four. After Jerry Betts had bested him by inches in an admirable 9.9 hundred, Landau ran away from the field to win the high hurdles in 15 seconds flat. He returned to win the 220 low hurdles in 23.9.

In his final event, however, he showed his true stature. Bent on revenge against Betts in the 220, Landau came off his blocks fast and held his margin for the entire distance to win in 21 seconds flat, a new Harvard record culminating a spectacular afternoon.

Army set the pattern of the meet in these events however, as it took second and third in three of them. Only Lee Barnes could break up the Cadet placing taking third in the 220.

Varsity Wins Nine

All told, the varsity won nine events, placed second in six, and third in only four. Captain Pete Reider, surprise starter in the mile, beat Jerry Lewis of Army in 4:19.1, while Bill Thompson took third with a stunning 4:22 plus, by far his best.

Neil Muncaster won the discus with a toss of 143 feet, 5 1/4 inches, while John deKiewiet won the high jump at 6 feet, 1 inch. Skip Pescosolido won the javelin at 186 feet, 9 inches, while Sam Halaby surprised with a 12 foot, 6 inch tie for first in the pole vault.

Only in the high jump could the varsity place or show, as Hal Keohane and Bob Downs tied Cadet Bill Fay at 6 feet. Also placing for the varsity were Al Gordon, second in the 440 with an astonishing 48.4; Art Cahn, second in a shade under two minutes for the half; John DuMoulin and Jim Doty, second and third to Ed Lagdonas in the hammer; and Hank Abbott, a surprising second in the shot.