Crimson Rugby Team Shuts Out M.I.T. 6-0

The Crimson varsity rugby team managed a 6 to 0 win over M.I.T. in its opening game Saturday at Soldiers Field. The Engineers crossed the goal twice but were called back each time for penalties.

First score for the Crimson came when the M.I.T. captain, Pete Macdavit, made a mis-kick early in the game. Langi Kavaliku, playing his first year, recovered the ball and made the try. Then in the second half Alan Waddel succeeded in a penalty kick to give the final three points.

The victory, however, cost the Crimson the loss of one of its finest forwards, Stan Merkel, who was injured. Merkel, who plays lock, pulled a hamstring muscle and probably will be out the rest of the season.

Illness prevented James Damis, who usually plays standoff, from entering the game, and the backfield lacked the thrust that he might have provided.

At Amherst, the second Crimson squad met the Amherst varsity fifteen to help fill a hole in the Lord Jeff schedule. Paying the price of their generosity, the Crimson ruggers were downed 33 to 3.