Birch Favors Separated Geography Department

Study of 'Human Geography' Neglected

Both the present chairman of the Department of Geology and Geography and his successor have expressed the opinion that the study of "human" geography belongs in a department separate from the existing one which combines the two.

"We feel that geography is not logically at home in the Geology Department, Hugh E. McKinstry, professor of Geology and chairman of the department, said last night. Whether or not a new department will be created "is largely a matter of financing, since money must be provided for professorships," he added.

Francis Birch '24, Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology, feels that the human geography "could be taught equally well either in a department of its own or in the history or government departments." The new developments in geography bear little relationship to physical geography, but "they are closely identified with the social sciences," he said.

When this department was created, McKinstry explained, "geography was viewed from a physical aspect, and it was then called physiography." But over the years geography developed rapidly "under the title of human geography, which is not very closely related to geology."

The scientific type of geography is today called geomorphology, differentiating it from the social science study of geography.

Birch will assume chairmanship of the department in June, pending a vote by the Board of Overseers.