Three Quit Executive Committee Of HYDC in Clash With Winans

'Half-truths, and Whole Lies...'

Lee A. Ryan '60, defeated candidate for president of the Harvard Young Democratic Club, resigned yesterday his position on the Executive Committee at a heated meeting. He charged Derek T. Winans '60, president of the HYDC, with "preoccupation with power and prestige."

Two other members of the executive committee, Ryan supporters in the elections last February, also resigned. Edward Hamlin '61 and William A.K. Lake '61 gave pressure of work and other activities as the reasons for their resignations.

The charges made by Ryan were contained in a letter of resignation submitted to the Committee yesterday. He criticized "the secrecy, the half-truths and often whole lies, the ruthlessness, and the constant plotting that has gone on," as well as Winans' activities in the New England Intercollegiate Young Democrats.

In a statement last night, Winans refused to comment on the charges made by Ryan. "I had better not say anything," he said. Winans noted that he regretted the resignations, and that the club would miss "the benefit of their good judgment and service."

Ryan entered the race for presidency of the HYDC two days before the February elections. Winans had been unopposed, and Ryan became a candidate in protest against Winans' "ambitions" in the New England club. He indicated yesterday that the administration persisted in "objectionable policies."

The decision to resign was made because Ryan felt his presence on the Executive Committee "gives tacit approval to the actions of this administration."