Merchants Oppose Plan For HSA Photo Agency

By Richard E. Ashcraft

The announcement that the Harvard Student Agencies may from a photography agency drew some sharp criticism yesterday from several students and local businessmen around the Square.

Paul Koby, local commercial photographer, said a student-run agency would be "unfair competition." "What kind of competition it is," he asserted, "when the students don't have to pay salaries or taxes? They can raise havoc, and do irreparable damage--even make me go out of business."

"I must kick," he declared, "because I am the only surviving photographer in Harvard Square." If such an agency is formed, Koby said, "they will have the wrath of the Harvard Square businessmen against them." If the agency intends to interfere with business in the Square, Koby said, "they can be closed down."

Students Criticize

Several students adopted a critical attitude toward the proposed photo agency. One student declared, "It is wrong for photographers to be so rigidly controlled, by such a hard-boiled, highly efficient enterprise. There should be more individual initiative in photography," he said. Other free-lance photographers said they were "scared" about joining such an organization.

One photographer asserted that "the manager of the agency will make the real money from the enterprise, not the scholarship student. Student photographers," he said, "will have to work longer for less and with less freedom."

One member of the Harvard Square Businessmen's Association stated that it had always been his understanding that "the intention of the Harvard Student Agencies was not to interfere with business in Harvard Square." However, he added that "technically they could hurt anybody and no one could do anything about it."

No Formal Action Taken Yet

Another member of the Businessmen's Association declared that the reaction to the photo agency was "premature." Asked if there had been any formal action taken by local businessmen, he replied negatively, but added, "there's a meeting of the businessmen next week, and something may come up then."

Dustin M. Burke '52, general manager of the HSA, said that final action for setting up the photographic agency had not yet been taken. The Board of Directors of the HSA has not approved the organization.

Burke stated that he personally had not heard of any criticism or "negative reaction" to the proposed photo agency from either the students or local businessmen.