Council Accepts Plan for Election Of 4 Freshmen

After long discussion, the Student Council voted last night to have four Freshman representatives to the Council chosen by the Union Committee to serve for the Spring term, and to have four representatives elected by the Freshman class in May to serve for the following Fall term.

The motion, made by Hastings Wyman, Jr. '61, as an amendment to the Article of the Council's Reevaluation Report concerning changes in membership and representation of the Council, was defeated twice before being passed by a two-thirds majority.

Following modifications and approval of the Council's recommendations to the student body for constitutional changes, the members discussed the operations of the Combined Charities Drive.

Paul E. Freehling '59, vice-president of the Council, proposed that the House captains for next year's Drive be responsible to the Council. A motion to have two chairmen of the Drive, one from the Student Council, the other from P.B.H., was defeated. "Responsibility for the Drive should rest with P.B.H., and not the Student Council," one member argued.

However, while the Council approved Freehling's recommendation that next year's Drive be run by the heads of P.B.H.'s Drive Committee or their appointee, it agreed that "the Student Council shall have the power to review the actions of the leaders of the Drive and to take it over if it seems necessary."