English, Mathematics Depts. Plan To Add Eight New Half Courses

Six half courses in English and two half courses in Mathematics will be added to the curriculum next year, in addition to new courses previously announced in these fields, it was learned yesterday.

A Spring term course on Henry Fielding and two Fall term courses, dealing with the works of Chaucer and James Joyce, will be offered by the English Department. The courses will be taught by John M. Bullitt '43, associate professor of English, B. J. Whiting '25, professor of English, and Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English.

Two courses dealing with historic periods rather than single authors are English 227, "The Elizabethan Stage," to be taught by Alfred B. Harbage, professor of English, and English 236, "Seventeenth Century Religious Prose," to be taught by Kenneth B. Murdock '16, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of English Literature.

A course entitled "Paradise Lost" will be taught in the Spring by Professor White of the University of Wisconsin.

Joseph L. Walsh '16, Perkins Professor of Mathematics, will teach Mathematics 222, a Fall term course in "Interpolation and Approximation."

Mathematics 281, "Proof Theory," will be taught next Spring. The course will deal with the completability, decidability, consistency, and finite axiomatizability of various mathematical theories.