Varsity Nine to Meet B.U. Today In Greater Boston League Contest

By Kenneth Auchincloss

The Crimson baseball team, currently riding at the head of the Eastern Intercollegiate League, turns back to Greater Boston League competition this afternoon. The varsity meets Boston University at B.U. Field (nee Braves Field) at 3:30 p.m.

Righthander Dave Brigham will probably start for the Crimson according to coach Norman Shepard, although there's a chance that Sophomore southpaw Gerry Emmet will do the pitching. Four-game winner Brigham would be making his third start in seven days, but as Shepard says, "Dave has a strong right arm."

Emmet turned in a very sharp hurling job in the final inning of last Friday's Princeton game.

B.U. is one or the strongest teams in the G.B.I. League, currently occupying second place with a four-and-one record. The Crimson holds the fourth spot, having beaten Brandeis, lost to M.I.T., and tied league-leading Tufts. Considering the varsity's improvement in its last four games, however, the game should be rated fairly even.

There probably will be no changes in the Crimson's starting lineup today. Shepard reports he might have started Jim Shue in the outfield, but Shue won't be able to play this afternoon.

Shue has performed very well whenever he has broken into the lineup this spring, and neither centerfielder John Getch nor rightfielder Mo Balboni has been playing at his peak recently.