Crimson Tennis Squad Shuts Out Columbia, Navy in Weekend Action

By Walter L. Goldfrank

The return of captain Dale Junta to the lineup Saturday high-lighted a very bright weekend for the varsity tennis team, as the squad swept both Columbia and Navy by 9-0 scores.

To win the Eastern League title, the Crimson has only to defeat Yale Wednesday, but this is a doubtful possibility. Yale trounced Princeton Saturday, 7 to 2, and must be rated the favorite, despite the varsity's excellent showing this weekend.

Neither Columbia nor Navy afforded the Crimson much competition in the matches on Friday and Saturday, as the two visitors managed to win only four of the 40 sets played.

Sophomore Tim Gallwey was extended to three sets both days. Playing at number two against Columbia, he defeated Paul Standel, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. On Saturday, Gallwey took the first set from the Middies' number three man, John Griffiths, but lost the second 13-15. However, he bounced back to in the third to down his opponent, 7-5, and win the two and one-half hour marathon.

Junta Wins Easily

Despite the excitement of Gallwey's match, however, most of the crowd's attention was focused on Junta, who crushed Bill Harris, 6-3, 6-1. He then teamed up with Larry Sears, who had also won in straight sets, to win at first doubles.

Although Junta was not playing at his peak, he looked much better than he has all season, and appeared to have recovered fairly well from his back injury.

Sears also had a very successful weekend, although he lost the first set of his match with Columbia's Lloyd Moglen. Moglen's success was somewhat ephemeral, however, as Sears easily took the next two sets. On Saturday, Sears triumphed over Dave Haughton in straight sets.

Ned Weld, Al Goldman, and Fred Vinton all won both their matches with little difficulty, as did Bill Wood and Laurie Pratt. Pete Krogh picked up a win Friday, and on Saturday both Jim Cameron and Denny Briggs won singles contests.

In doubles, the varsity lost only one set in the two days, as Pratt and Cameron took three sets to win their match Friday.