College Received Two Year Total Of $22.5 Million

Harvard stands second only to Yale in the amount received in voluntary private contributions during the past two years, a recently completed survey has revealed. According to the survey, more than $22.5 million was given to the University in 1956 and 1957 while Yale received more than $23 million.

The period covered by the survey includes only a small part of the Program for Harvard College drive, Laurence O. Pratt, public relations director for the Program, explained last night. He emphasized that the survey includes only cash actually received, while a part of the $37 million donated to the Program thus far is in the form of pledges.

Dr. Francis H. Sparks, president of the Council on Financial Aid to Education, one of the groups which helped conduct the survey, noted Tuesday that private contributions to colleges and universities in this country have more than doubled in the last two years. The amount of voluntary grants will double again within the next five of six years, he predicted.

The recession has not effected contributions to education by corporations, but could be an important factor should it continue for long, Dr. Sparks said.