AHG Report Seeks Alumni Coordination

The Associated Harvard Clubs may appoint an Executive Secretary, with offices in Cambridge, to further its coordination with the Harvard Alumni Association and with the University. A special committee of the organization has recommended the change, Daniel S. Cheever '39, Director of University Affairs, disclosed yesterday.

The move, in line with President Pusey's recent recommendations for closer communication between the alumni groups, would place offices of the Associated Harvard Clubs in Wadsworth House together with the offices of the Harvard Alumni Association and the Director of University Alumni Affairs. The Alumni Association has favored a "joint secretariat" for the two groups for some time, Cheever said.

In the past A.H.C. has maintained its secretary's office in St. Louis. Its recent annual meeting was held in Pittsburgh.

Other Proposals Revealed

Cheever also revealed five other recommendations of the committee designed "to increase a two-way flow of information between the University and the clubs."

The proposals suggest ways to convey more information about the College to the alumni, such as considering alumni officials of both organizations for positions on the Overseers' Visiting Committees whenever possible. However, the report affirmed the committee's belief that the Alumni Association and the A.H.C. should retain their completely separate identities.

Cheever praised the new plan for drawing the groups closer together in one co-ordinated program. "Surely this is one way to attack the problem of hostility to the intellectual," Cheever said, "for the liberal arts alumnus is often in a better position than a president or professor to interpret his university's activity to his own community."