Half Accepted by GSAS Expected to Register

Figure Not Unusual On Graduate Level

Less than 50 per cent of the men and women admitted to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will register next Fall, Dean Elder predicted yesterday.

Although the figure is not yet definite, Elder estimated that the number of students would be about the same as that of 1957. In that year, only 47 per cent of those accepted came to the Graduate School.

Elder characterized the figures as "startling at first sight." The discrepancy in numbers, however, is not unusual on the graduate level, he said.

Although individual students offer personal reasons for selecting other schools, Elder named two general influences on student choice. First are the outstanding individual departments at other schools; second, the fact that such schools offer more scholarship money.

Scholarship Rise Planned

There will be some rise in scholarship money next year, Elder said, but added, "we have no intention of trying to buy people." The Graduate School will not swell its ranks by accepting less-qualified people, he said.

Many students turn down Harvard scholarships in favor of larger grants from private sources. "There is a great deal of science money around," he commented.

With about 96 per cent of next year's class already admitted, Elder said acceptances will continue through the summer. If "some mute, inglorious Milton" should appear, he will not be turned away, Elder remarked. "There's always a loophole for excellence at Harvard," he continued.

At present, Harvard is the only school to request a $5 application fee at the graduate level. Other schools are considering this method of limiting multiple applications. By discouraging prospective students from over-applying, the gap between the number accepted and the number actually registering may be diminished, Elder suggested.