Quincy House Construction Still Delayed

The strike of the Boston District Council of Carpenters moved into its second week yesterday with no successful negotiation as yet. The delay on Quincy House caused by the strike "is tightening the work schedule," Dean Bundy commented yesterday.

A spokesman for the joint negotiating committee of the Building Trades Employers Association of Boston and the Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts issued the following statement to the CRIMSON:

"The contractors' last offer of three 10-cent annual increases in a three-year agreement was rejected by the Boston District Council of Carpenters at a negotiating session called today by state and federal conciliators.

"When a carpenter spokesman called this offer 'ridiculous,' a spokesman for the contractors stated, 'we are disappointed to learn that the carpenters' committee does not yet have the power to negotiate and are rigidly holding to their original 50-cent an hour wage increase demands made last February.' We are still waiting for the carpenters' committee to come back with a reasonable counter-proposal."

The spokesman noted that striking workers in other trades had all accepted compromise measures. The carpenters alone have been sticking to their "unreasonable" demand for two 25-cent wage hikes in a two-year period.

A negotiator for the District Council of Carpenters put responsibility for the delay on the construction companies' "adamant" refusal to accept its terms.

Despite the charges made by both parties to the controversy, a representative of the Building Trades Employers Association suggested that there might be "some softening" on the part of the union.