Violinist Plans to Form Civic Orchestra

Thirty Attend First Rehearsal

Cambridge citizens will hear performances by their own orchestra next fall, Victor E. Manusevitch '56, conductor of the orchestra, promised at the initial rehearsal of the group last night.

The Cambridge Civic Orchestra will be composed of up to 80 members, Manusevitch hopes. "Most of these people will be Cambridge residents who have previously played in orchestras in other towns."

Manusevitch plays second violin in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and has had an extensive musical background. However, as an undergraduate, he concentrated in the Slavic Department.

Concert scheduling for the new group is still incomplete, but fuller plans for the Civic Orchestra will be announced in the fall. Manusevitch hopes to perform as often as possible for Cambridge citizens.

Oboist Albert S. Coolidge '15, lecturer in Chemistry, earned special praise from the conductor. "He is the heart of the woodwind section, in addition to playing first oboe." Several other graduates of the College are included in the Orchestra.

Approximately 30 local residents attended last night's rehearsal, held at Rindge Technical High School. Manusevitch commented that the full membership of the Orchestra could not attend at this time, due to the pressure of other concerts, and summer employment.

Manusevitch has high hopes for the future of the Orchestra. He emphasized that Cambridge has never had a local orchestra, although many surrounding towns support their own symphonic groups which attract Cambridge music-lovers to their concerts. "The aim of the Civic Orchestra," he noted; "will be to bring back fine music to this area."