Tennis Team Crushes Williams, 8-1, To Visit Dartmouth This Afternoon

By Walter L. Goldfrank

The varsity tennis team, competing without its first and fourth singles men, yesterday crushed Williams, 8 to 1, on the cold, windswept Soldiers' Field courts. The Crimson squad will travel to Hanover today to encounter a fairly strong Dartmouth squad in an Eastern League match.

Larry Sears played at the number one position in place of Dale Junta. In complete control throughout, he toyed with the Williams captain, Karl Hirshman, defeating him in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. Today Sears will face Dick Hoehn, who also beat Hirshman, in what should be a close match.

At second singles, sophomore Tim Gall-wey was slow getting started but soon warmed up, downing Tom Shulman, 8-6, 6-3. Since Ned Weld was out of action with a blistered hand, Al Goldman moved up to number three to meet Joe Turner, whom he last year defeated in a two and one-half hour three-set match. Yesterday, however, Goldman had an easier time, winning 8-6, 6-3.

Sophomore Fred Vinton ran over Dave Leonard in 40 minutes in the fourth singles contest, triumphing by a lopsided 6-1, 6-0 score. Bill Wood won in straight sets at fifth singles, but at number six, Pete Krogh succumbed to Tom Davidson for the only varsity loss.

After dropping his first set, 6-4, Krogh rallied to take the long second one, 11-9. The Crimson split two unofficial contests, as Laurie Pratt lost and Dick Chute triumphed, both in straight sets.

Varsity Sweeps Doubles

The varsity swept the doubles to complete its successful afternoon. Only the third team of Pratt and Jim Cameron had any difficulty winning, as the two Juniors were extended to three sets. Gallwey and Vinton at number one and Sears and Wood at number two to beat their opponents handily.

At Dartmouth today, the Crimson will not have such an easy time. The Indians have also defeated Williams, although they managed only a 5-4 victory. The varsity is rated a slight favorite, as are the Yardlings, who will also play at Hanover this afternoon.