Deans Imply Parking Ban Too Lenient

The current University rule on overnight parking "most probably" will prove inadequate, Dean Leighton and Dean Ballard asserted yesterday. Leighton commented that a plan to ban student cars was "perfectly possible."

Although the number of undergraduate cars ticketed in the current overnight parking campaign declined recently, Leighton felt that further action is still necessary. He refused to comment on exactly what the next step would be. "All types of proposals are being suggested," he stated.

Ballard supported the current University ruling, which prohibits student parking on streets near the College between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. "I can't imagine any less stringent action being effective."

Violators Placed on Probation

For the first times, names of violators of the regulation were turned over to the administrative board last week. Although the number of such cases was not released, Ballard stated that some of the violators were placed on probation because of repeated offenses.

"I don't want to see anyone forced to leave Harvard for parking violations," Leighton maintained. He added that no disciplinary action involving separation of connection had yet been taken. Leighton warned, however, that no action was beyond the realm of possibility.

A ban on student cars would be, Leighton noted, an "obvious way to reduce the number of automobiles parked on Cambridge streets."