Tennis Varsity Will Face Navy, Columbia Teams

By Walter L. Goldfrank

The varsity tennis team will win two Eastern League contests here this weekend if the rain stops in time. This afternoon the Crimson meets a rather non-descript Columbia squad, and tomorrow the home team will face a fair Navy team.

Rain has already cost the varsity two probable league wins--over Princeton last Saturday and Dartmouth yesterday--and two more cancellations would be very exasperating. If this weekend's matches are not played, the Crimson will have little chance of winning the league title, especially since it will not have much practice before the Yale match Wednesday.

If the weather clears up, and the Columbia and Navy contests are played, the varsity will go into the big match with a 5-0 record. And if the team can upset Yale, it will probably take both the Big Three and Eastern League crowns.

Junta Rests For Yale

Last spring the Crimson defeated both Navy and Columbia on away courts without dropping a single match. Today and tomorrow, weather permitting, the team will have every opportunity to duplicate last year's results, even without captain Dale Junta, who is resting his injured back for Yale.

Without Junta, the second through seventh singles men will each move up a notch. Larry Sears, who has lost only once in regular season competition, will play at number one. Although he should have little trouble in disposing of his opponents this weekend, Sears must be at his best to defeat the Elis' Jon Clark.

At the other singles position will be Tim Gallwey, Ned Weld, Al Goldman, Fred Vinton, and Bill Wood. Weld, however, has been suffering from an injured hand, and may not play. Pete Krogh will join the starting lineup if Weld cannot play.