University Closes Iroquois Club As Result of April 30 Bomb Prank

Club Shut Until June 4

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The Administration has closed the Iroquois Club until June 4 as a result of the bombing prank at Elsie's delicatessen last Wednesday. A bomb was thrown into the building by two Club members who fled into the club, which is located directly across Mt. Auburn Street from the delicatessen.

The Club was holding an initiation dinner that evening, but a member stated last night that "there is definitely no connection between the activities of the Club itself and the actions of the particular individuals involved in the episode."

No one was seriously injured in the explosion, but two persons were taken to Stillman Infirmary with minor lacerations. Malcolm J. Arth, teaching fellow in Social Relations, and Emanuel A. Shegloff '58, had been sitting at the counter and were injured by the force of the blast.

The bombing, however, was apparently not part of an initiation prank of any sort. The initiation dinner was over by the time the bomb was thrown--approximately 9:30 p.m.--and the Club would probably not have been implicated in any way had not the two men run into the Building.