Seniors Mark Class Day In Yard This Morning

The class of '58 will meet in Sever Quadrangle this morning at 10:30 a.m. to pay traditional farewells to the University in Class Day exercises.

First Marshal Merom Bradhman '58 will lead the class in the march from the Yard, assisted by Second Marshal Dale W. Junta '58 and Third Marshal Robert D. Storey '58. The Band will provide music for the march.

In case of rain, the exercises will be held in New Lecture Hall. The forecast is for continuing cloudiness this morning but it is expected that rain will hold off until this afternoon.

At the exercises, Dean Leighton will present the Ames Awards for self-reliance, character, and leadership to Arthur E. Reider '58 of Eliot House and San Francisco and Michael Wortis '58 of Lowell House and New York City.

Reider, a History and Science concentrator, was captain of the Track Team and vice-President of the Undergraduate Athletic Council. Wortis, a Phi Beta Kappa student in Physics, held an Honorary John Harvard Scholarship and was President of the Mountaineering Club.

The awards honor the memory of Richard G. Ames '34 and Henry R. Ames '38, who gave their lives in an attempt to save their father from the seas off New-foundland during a transatlantic sailing race in 1936.

Principal Speakers

Principal speakers at the exercises will be Class Orator Adam Clymer '58, Class Poet Erich W. Segal '58 and Ivy Orator Harold E. Fitzgibbons '58. Hermon D. Smith '21, President of the Alumni Association, and John r. McGinley '31, President of the Associated Harvard Clubs, will welcome seniors to the Alumni ranks. Dean Bundy will also speak.

Then the Senior Class Colors will be presented by the first Marshal to representatives of the Freshman Class.

John Felstiner '58 will offer the Class Ode, which will be sung by the Class under the direction of Class Chorister Frederick Brozer '58. The program will open and close with prayers from Rev. George A. Buttrick, Preacher to the University.