Latin American History Courses Cancelled for '58

The University will offer no courses in Latin American history next year, following the departure of Thomas F. McGann '41, assistant professor of History, it was learned yesterday.

Myron P. Gilmore, chairman of the History Department, said that the department is looking for a guest lecturer for the spring, but felt that it will probably not be able to find one. He expected that someone would be found to teach Latin American history in 1959-60.

Chair Endowed

McGann is leaving to take a permanent post as assistant professor of History at the University of Texas. He taught all the History Department's courses on Latin America: Social Sciences 133, An Introduction to Latin American Civilization; History 177, History of Colombia and Venezuela, and History 178, History of Colombia in alternating years; and a graduate seminar in Latin American History.

The Bliss Chair in Latin American History was endowed so long ago, Gilmore said, that it no longer supports the full cost of a professor. Gilmore stated that the money will be used for the guest lecturer next spring, if he is secured, or will be kept to help endow the post when a new man is found.