Five Lecture At Friday Sessions Of '58 Seminar

The citizens' movement for improved schools has become a "full-time avocation" for over a million Americans, Henry Toy, president of the National Citizens Council for Better Schools, said last Friday.

Addressing the Conference on Educational Administration, Toy stressed the need for continued and increased experimentation in education, particularly in the field of educational television. A new approach, moreover, is required to overcome the still unsolved problems involved in the education of gifted children and juvenile delinquents.

John B. Fisher, partner of Joyce and Fisher Associates, called for increased Federal aid to education. Noting that some 311 Federal agencies distribute almost four billion dollars of school aid annually, Fisher concluded that such assistance is "here, and here to stay."

More schools necessarily require greater expenditures, and Frederic C. Wood, a consulting engineer, spoke on "A Citizen Analyzes Building Costs for Schools." Wood felt that considerable sums of money are wasted in the construction of new schools through sheer ignorance of building costs.

This difficulty, he said, might be solved through the establishment of a uniform system of cost analysis which would enable contractors to predict accurately the cost per square fot for any building.

Another view of educational problems was offered by Nolan Estes, a graduate student in the Administrative Career Program and currently on leave from the Public Schools of Waco, Texas. Estes urged that school administrators gain a better understanding of the social processes within the community, with the purposes of adapting educational programs to community needs.

Finis E. Engleman, Executive Secretary of the American Association of School Administrators, counseled educators to listen to advice and criticism offered by laymen, and reiterated the necessity for instilling in all Americans the belief that through better education this country's ills are best combatted.