College Forbids All-night Parking For Student Cars

Parking regulations for undergraduates will be the most severe in history for the academic year 1958-59. There will be no undergraduate parking allowed on the streets of Cambridge between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., and the penalty for illegal parking will be increased from two dollars to five dollars for the second offense and from five to ten dollars for subsequent offenses. The first offense continues to draw only a warning.

Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services in the Department of Buildings and Grounds, said that the University police force had been expanded by about 10 per cent and that this augmented force would cover a larger territory than before.

Trottenberg said that he "expected an increased demand for space at the business school" and pointed out that over the summer 317 new spaces had been added there.

For graduate students, regular Cambridge overnight parking regulations will be in force, although the undergraduate rates for parking violations will also apply to graduate students.

The Business School lot will be the only University-provided parking lot for undergraduates, while graduate students may park opposite the graduate commons, south of Jarvis St., on the west and south sides of Perkins Hall, and on the east side of Conant Hall.

For both graduates and undergraduates the fee for University parking is $40 per year, and there will be a $25 fine for failing to register a car with the University.

Last year the University made an area including Harvard Square and nearby streets out of bounds for overnight parking, and at that time the Dean's office stated that it hoped the banning of student-owned cars from Cambridge would never be necessary, although it admitted that such a step might be necessary as a last resort.