Four Graduate Schools To Begin Registration

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Three graduate school--the Divinity School, the School of Education, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, expect increased registration today.

Only the School of Public Administration declined in total enrollment. Eighty-two students will register this year, a drop of two from last year. Twenty foreign countries are represented in this number, with the largest delegation from Pakistan.

Don K. Price, new dean of the School of Public Administration succeeding Edward S. Mason, has taken over his new office for the academic year. His appointment last spring was the major faculty change in the graduate schools.

The increases in enrollment range from 13 per cent up to 20 per cent in the School of Education. Approximately 600 students will register today in Lawrence Hall, a rise of 100 from last year. Two hundred students have entered the master of Arts in Teaching program, of which 100 are Radcliffe graduates.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences likewise expects a "substantial increase" in registration. This year's total of 580 new students will top the 1957-58 number by 75, a jump of 15 per cent.

At the Divinity School, the number of first year students has risen almost 13 per cent--from 48 to 54 new members studying for the Bachelor of Divinity degree.

Christopher Dawson, eminent British theologian and first occupant of the new chair of Roman Catholic studies at the Divinity School, has been delayed in coming to Cambridge. However, officials expect that he will arrive by Oct. 1 to start teaching his new courses at the School.