Kennedy Starts Campaign

Will Visit 136 Towns

By Alan H. Grossman

By 11.30 a.m. Senator John F. Kennedy '40 will have breezed through a high school assembly, a city hall rally and motorcade, and a visit to two Lynn newspapers--thus completing the first morning of a concentrated campaign tour which was outlined yesterday at a kickoff press conference in Boston.

Talking to the reporters who will cover his pre-election activities for the next six weeks, the tanned candidate said he was not concerned about piling up more votes than his running mates or increasing the 70,000 vote plurality he received in 1952. Kennedy also stated that he will cooperate with other Democrats on the ticket, "as I have in the past."

His campaign for re-election will take him into 136 Massachusetts communities. The Senator will not leave the state until after Nov. 4, except to fill two nearby speaking engagements.

Fewer "Tea Parties"

Kennedy explained yesterday that his campaigning will be less formal than it has been in the past: much of it will be done in "streets and factories" rather than at "tea parties."

In answer to queries on his opinions about immigration policy, Kennedy re-affirmed his opposition to the McCarran-Walter Act. He claimed that the two-thirds vote overriding President Truman's veto of the bill indicated the difficulty of obtaining revision of the McCarran Act.

The 41-year-old Senator lauded Americans of Italian descent, and managed to point out that he is an honorary citizen of Rome and Trieste. These remarks were made in reply to a question concerning the role of the so-called "Mafia" in national crime.

Kennedy's remarks yesterday seemed to indicate that his campaign speeches will emphasize plans for "Massachusetts of the future" rather than a recitation of his record.