HYRC Members Launch Presidential Campaigns

Bayley, White Enter Race

The battle for the HYRC presidency began yesterday as David F. Peterson '60, president, and Alec B. Dawson '59, who resigned the presidency in October, came out for rival candidates.

Supporting Dennis White '60, Dawson claims in an open letter that "the club needs fresh spirit, and White will give it the responsible leadership it must have to become a respected part of the University community. When I left office, the club was unified for an active election year, but the present administration has had no national speaker or general meeting."

Peterson rejoins that while his candidate Christopher T. Bayley '60 has been with the club for three years and already holds office, White only three weeks ago resigned a committee post in the HYDC. He also criticizes White severely for his role in the "now infamous coup in the Committee to Study Disarmament."

White charges in return that Peterson himself was aware of the coup and even agreed to participate--only to back out when adverse publicity became too great. Peterson denies that he ever agreed to have any part in the affair.

Peterson goes on to assert that White is so far from being a Republican that he supported a segregationist Democratic candidate in the Texas Senatorial primary. To this White replies that there was no Republican running in the Texas primary,

"It is unbecoming of the president of the HYRC to attack fellow officers and Republicans," White insists. "It is also unbecoming for the president of the club to attack a candidate for his office. Bayley should speak for himself."