Crimson Eights Score Double Win at Henley; Crews Take Grand Challenge and Thames Cups

By Bartle Bull

If there is a greatest day in Harvard rowing history, it was probably last July 4th, when Harvard crews won the world's two most distinguished eight-oared events. For the first time in the history of the Henley Royal Regatta an American college won both the Thames Challenge Cup and the Grand Challenge Cup.

For coach Harvey Love's undefeated heavyweights, this was the first Henley competition since 1950, when the Crimson made its third successful attempt to take the Grand. The previous victories were in 1914 and 1939. Stroked by sophomore Perry Boyden, the heavies had already enjoyed an excellent season, climaxed by edging out Syracuse for the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges title in May and thrashing Yale at New London on June 13. On the few occasions during the season when they were called on for maximum effort, the heavies repeatedly demonstrated their great potential. On one occasion in early May they set a new course record on the Charles of 8.45.

The 'fifties, or lightweights, returned to Henley last June as the defenders of the Thames Cup, which they won for the first time the previous year. Like the heavies, coach Lawrence Coolidge's 'fifties were also undefeated when they left for England. Coolidge, who graduated in '58, was the Crimson singles champion of that year, when he tied the College singles record on the Charles. Last spring was his first season as a coach, and his enthusiasm and judgement seemed to compensate for any inexperience.

Due largely to the generosity of The Friends of Harvard Rowing, both crews flew to London on a special flight on June 20, only a week after the New London victory. Thanks to this and to the ingenious system of crowding in use on economy flights the crews did not arrive in top condition. The Crimson shells were equally unserviceable at first, for until the arrival of a special form for non-motive racing boats, the shells were kept in customs for a day.

Once arrived at Henley-on-Thames, both crews found their food and quarters excellent and settled down to a final week's training over the unfamiliar Henley course. The first day on the water, both eights seemed a bit sluggish, but after several days of double practice they settled into their earlier form.

With 163 crews competing, the narrow stretches of the Thames near Henley were constantly crowded, and as usual there was no room for the coaches to go out in launches. Instead it is the inflexible custom at Henley for each to follow his crew on a bicycle along the Tow Path which parallels the river. Part of this path is paved, but along much of its length grazing cattle preserve its rustic integrity.

At first, Crimson coach Harvey Love was loath to navigate his antique two-wheeler at high speeds among the pedestrians, cows, and cyclists while operating a stopwatch and calling through a megaphone. But soon both Love and Coolidge were regularly in the saddle. The only incident occured when Coolidge, complete in the three-piece suit and watch chain for which he was already famous, rode his machine unsteadily into a crowd of squatting picnickers.

With thirty-three shells competing for the Thames Cup, the 'fifties were anxious to practice against competition, and held several "brushes," or informal races, with othercontenders for different events. In one of these, the Crimson eight brushed the Thames Rowing Club, eventual finalists for the Grand Challenge Cup and won over the full Henley distance of a mile and five sixteenths.

The heavies, recognized favorites for the Grand, found it more difficult to find sparring partners, and several times raced the 'fifties. Too many brushes, however, tend to make a crew nervous and weakens its form, and shortly before the first day of racing Coolidge took his eight up the river for some quiet practice.

As the races approach, speculation and rumor spread eagerly, and spying and the cunning release of mis-information become increasingly valuable. One afternoon when the heavies were commuting from Henley to their lodgings at Shiplake, someone asked the Crimson manager what time the train left. "6:32," he replied. By the next morning it was common knowledge that the heavies had rowed a trial heat in 6.32, only two seconds short of the record.

Many English rowing enthusiasts felt that this year's Henley would be a real test for English rowing, which traditionally is based on a different style and on shorter and more formal training periods than is American collegiate rowing. Rather than row steadily and then pull to a fast finish, British crews tend to start with a "rush" and try to exhaust their opponents with a fast opening pace.

With many fine eights entered for the Thames Cup, England was hoping to recover a trophy which in the previous seventeen Regattas had been won fifteen times by Americans. In both this event and in the Grand, it seemed that Oxford's Isis crews were the outstanding threat to the Crimson. For the first time in years, Oxford was represented not only by eights drawn from a particular college but by crews drawn from almost the entire University. In both events, Isis was largely an unknown quantity and avoided brushes and publicity, largely due to the discretion of Isis coach Group Captain "Jumbo" Edwards.

As a result of the draws, the 'fifties had a race against the Crowland Rowing Club when the Regatta opened on July 1st. Like the rest of the week's four racedays, the first day saw the sort of weather which made this summer England's best of the century. The pink and white blazers, the school stripped caps, and the garden-party dresses which always decorate Henley during the Regatta were for once in harmony with the climate. The redcoatted band, the funfair, and the bars were all operating at full tilt as the first shells glided past the green riverbanks to the finish in front of the Steward's Enclosure.

In their first race Coolidge's 'fifties showed that even when not rowing their best they could win handily. Working far too hard for their time of 7.23, the Crimson oarsmen finished two lengths ahead of Crowland, who never fell below thirty-six. Shortly after the race Mel Hodder, number five man in the Crimson boat, was taken to the hospital with stomach pains and underwent an operation. In the next day's race against Oriel College on Thursday, R.K. Chase replaced Hodder and the Crimson won easily in 7.20. Racing in their first event the same day, Love's heavies coasted in ahead of a disappointed London Rowing Club eight.

On Friday both crews met their Isis counterparts in their toughest races of the Regatta. Racing against the 'fifties, Isis immediately jumped to a half-length lead, but just past the half the Crimson edged ahead, expecting the English crew to fade after its opening sprint. Instead, Isis hung on and only a strong Crimson finish put the 'fifties ahead by a canvas in 7.04.

Against the Crimson heavies, whose shell was optimistically named "Grand Challenge Cup 1914," the first Isis crew set out in a boat named "1869," this being the date of the only time when first university-wide crews from both institutions had previously met. Again, Isis rushed to an early lead and at the first quarter led by a narrow canvas. Never rowing below a thirty-six, Isis kept its lead until after the mile, when the Crimson's weight and power began to tell. But even the final Crimson sprint failed to shake Isis, and the race was not settled until the last strokes when the heavies stretched half a length ahead to win in 7.01.

In the final day's racing on Saturday, the 'fifties first enjoyed a relatively easy victory over the Union Boat Club in the morning and then whipped an exhausted University of London eight to recapture the Thames Challenge Cup in the afternoon finals. In the Grand finals Perry Boyden stroked the heavies to a convincing win over the Thames Rowing Club in 6.57.

As a verdict on English rowing the Crimson victories are inconclusive. The second Isis boat, which materialized in less than a month from men whose colleges did not send eights to Henley, lost by only three seconds to a well-integrated and highly trained crew. The first Isis boat, representing an incomplete university eight, did equally well against one of the strongest American crews ever to cross the Atlantic.

But for the Crimson, there was no doubt that the coaching of Love and Coolidge and the discipline and power of two fine crews combined to produce the greatest triumph in the history of Harvard rowing. All that remains is the 1960 Olympics.

The Championship CrewsHEAVIES    LIGHTSwayze  Bow  NobleEllefson  2  FrenchBreckinridge  3  ChristianJones  4  HoffmanGregg  5  ChaseEverett  6  McKeemanMcClennen  7  RichardsBoyden  Stroke  GoodmanPeale  Cox  Bryan