Dartmouth Defeats Crimson Eleven, 9-0

Ground Attack Overwhelms Varsity

Mud, a fickle wind, and a rejuvenated Dartmouth eleven combined to give the Crimson its second loss of the season Saturday, 9 to 0. Grinding out their victory under ragged clouds and torrential rains, the Indians upset all predictions as they produced the most potent ground offense the Crimson has seen this year, and thoroughly destroyed its hopes for the Ivy League title.

With the return of Jake Crouthamel and captain Bill Gundy to full time duty and with its usual fanatically tough line up front, Dartmouth was clearly the superior team. With the added advantage of having the heavy 25-mile-per-hour wind at their backs for three quarters of the game, Dartmouth handily managed to put over a second period touchdown and a fourth period field goal.

Most discouraging for the Crimson, however, was that the rain, by putting a damper on Gundy's throwing arm, should have insured the predicted Crimson victory. The varsity was well aware of its own strong running attack and thought that the best chance for a Dartmouth win lay in Gundy's aerials.

But the brunt of the Indian offense came on the ground. Led by Lee Horschman and Ken DeHaven, the Indian line opened up great chasms in the Crimson defense and prevented any prolonged Crimson marches.

Down 6 to 0 towards the end of the third quarter, the varsity received a punt on their 27-yard line and moved steadily to a first down on the Dartmouth 37. In three plays the Crimson moved to the 29, but with fourth and two Chet Boulris was stopped by DeHaven after a gain of one yard. The advance stopped, and Dartmouth remained in control for the rest of the game.

Slowed by the quagmire which spread over much of the field, the Crimson backs were often late in hitting their holes, and running around the ends became practically impossible.

The Indians, however, found their V-formation much more suited to the mud. Behind power blocking by Horschman and guard Phil Clark, Crouthamel's cross-bucks and Al Rozycki's inside reverses accounted for most of the yardage in their early scoring drive.

After moving the team from his own 30 to the Crimson 15, Gundy, with the call of the day, pulled off a perfect screen pass to Rozycki, who scrambled untouched to the goal line.

With three and a half minutes remaining in the half, Charlie Ravenel started what Crimson supporters hoped would be a march to put the favorites into the lead, but with a succession of time consuming plays, the half ended with the Crimson on the Dartmouth 27. This, perhaps, was the one time when the rain should have been neglected and an air attack employed.

In the entire drive only one pass was thrown, a long and incomplete one from Boulris to Repsher down the left sidelines. This didn't miss by much, and others might not have missed at all.

Dartmouth put the game completely out of reach when it salvaged a peteredout drive with a 25-yard field goal by tackle Ben Urban. Having had the wind at their backs for half the game, the Indians moved against it to the Crimson 18 in the last period. Stalled by a penalty and a momentarily tight Crimson defense they needed nine yards for the first down.

Freakishly the wind reversed itself, Urban trotted out to the huddle, did his work, and the outcome of the game was assured. The Crimson produced a few sporadic and short lived drives which amounted to nothing.

IVY LEAGUE STANDINGS  W  L  T  PF  PAPennsylvania   3  0  0  67  9Yale   3  0  0  54  9Princeton   2  1  0  42  18Dartmouth   1  1  1  9  13Harvard   1  2  0  54  51Cornell   1  2  0  20  59Columbia   1  3  0  43  80Brown   0  3  1  15  7