Purcell Will Lecture In Series on Science

Five lectures on science and technology will initiate the 1959-60 Harvard Conference on Careers, Thomas E. Crooks '49, Director of the Office of Student Placement, announced yesterday.

H.B.G. Casimir, physicist and director of Phillips Research Laboratories at Eindhoven, Netherlands, is scheduled to deliver the first lecture of the series, "Science in Industry," Thursday, Nov. 12, at Adams House. Casimir will also preside over a Physics Colloquium Monday, Nov. 9.

The following week, on Nov. 19, Edward M. Purcell, Donner Professor of Science, plans to discuss "The Scientist as Engineer," at Quincy House. In the Dec. 3 lecture, Burrhus F. Skinner, Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology, will speak on "The Control of Human Behavior."

Eugene G. Rochow, professor of Chemistry, will be the fourth lecturer. He will analyze "The Great Nitrogen Shortage" on Dec. 10.

Crooks stated that one purpose of the series is "to acquaint the student body with certain distinguished scientists as a practical demonstration of careers in science." He added that these lectures would "give an occasion for the student to reflect upon the impact of science on society and himself."