Ivy League Race Tightens

By Robert E. Smith

The two dark-horses in the Ivy League will meet this Saturday as the Crimson football team faces Cornell at Soldiers Field.

In three other Eastern cities the League's first full schedule of the season gets underway, with at least one other key game. With only four games played, three teams--Yale, Princeton, and Pennsylvania--find themselves on top of the heap by virtue of single victories last week.

The only surprise of the still young season was at Philadelphia, where Steve Sebo's Penn Quakers pulled a mild up-set over defending champion Dartmouth. This win and Penn's non-Ivy win in its opener against Lafayette make the Quaker eleven a definite favorite for the crown.

The Pennsylvania-Princeton game this week carries major significance in the race. A win for the Tigers would restore them to prominence in the League. If Penn wins, the Red and Black will be the team to beat for Ivy League honors.

The teams that could challenge the leaders are the two that take the field in Cambridge Saturday. Both have two straight wins over non-League opponents, and both open their Ivy schedules this week.

Cornell's line is probably the best in the League and will be facing a quick and strong Crimson line that lacks only experience. If the experience gained in the UMass and Bucknell games is enough, Harvard should hold the sway.

Cornell, without 1958 star quarterback Tom Skypeck, is hoping for improvement in its backfield, which cannot match the Crimson's. Albie Cullen, Larry Repsher, Chet Boulris, and Charlie Ravenel have been running very well lately, and Cornell admittedly has its hands full.

In other action, the Yalies are favored to top visiting Columbia at the Bowl and move into a tie for first. Dartmouth should hit the winning column this week at Hanover. The Indians face Brown, a team that by next Monday can be termed hapless. Only if the Bruins' injured regulars are in top form will Dartmouth have trouble.